Monday, July 1, 2013

First day of Rome 30-6-2013


This morning Tatiana and I left the hostel early and made it to the (right) station on time, making sure to check the ticket about 50 times just in case.  Then we had cappuccinos and croissants before boarding the (right) train to Rome… unfortunately the train decided to run late.


When we finally arrived in Rome we realized that Tatiana only had about 4 hours left until she had to leave to go back home to Geneva, meaning that the ride was a complete waste.  (ごめね~ (Japanese for sorry) Ta-chan).  So we spent our last hour together eating spaghetti, because food is delicious.


Then we parted ways, which was a terrible idea!  Because Tatiana was always the navigator and if anyone knows me well, they would know that I have the worst sense of direction and always walk in the exact opposite direction of where I am supposed to go.

So I headed towards my accommodation, which was in a place called Prenestina, but after getting off the tram and walking for a few hours with an even more broken suitcase (the rubber have completely burned off the wheels) I realized that Prenestina was the name of the tram line and not the actual station, which I still didn’t know.  Basically it’s like saying you’re accommodation is in Oxford street (for non - Aussies, it’s a ridiculously long street in Sydney, which goes on forever).

After a while I started to use Google maps on my Australian phone out of desperation, (I hope I didn’t kill my phone bill), but that didn’t help since it said that the place was in the middle of the side walk.

By that time I was ready to die, or fall asleep on the side walk, but then some guys started talking to me.  One of them was a nice guy called Arsen who helped me find the place, only to realize that it was closed.  Damn it!

I tried calling AIM Overseas (the company in charge of my exchange), but they didn’t answer because it was 12am in Australian, then I called International SOS to see if they knew anything, but they weren’t able to do too much.  So Arsen took me to a café and helped me check into a hotel.

He was seriously a nice guy and he even told me his life story.  Apparently he had a hard life where he had to work very hard, so he was happy to help me, since I was in trouble.  While I was very gracious for his help, I was kind of scared as well. 

I couldn’t help it.  I mean, practically every girl in the history of anywhere are told by their parents not to talk to strangers, especially guys.  What’s that?  I’m 20 years old?  I’m a grown adult… Hahahahaha!!! Yeah, sure whatever you say.  Just because my passport says I’m an adult, doesn’t mean I mature.  (Peter Pan syndrome).
Also since I’m pretty polite (probably picked it up in Japan) I didn’t have the courage to tell him to go away, so I let him help me, which was cool I guess…  Either I’m extremely lucky or stupid… maybe both.

I think I was freaked out because I’m a control freak.  I prefer to be lost and know it’s my fault as well as know that I can fix it.  When someone helps me I lose that control.  (Yeah… I like to analyse myself, so I know how to improve my faults and stuff.)

After a few hours I went back to the accommodation office to figure out the best possible route to carry my broken bag tomorrow only to realize that I was open again.  Apparently Arsen went back to check and told them that I would come back tomorrow.  (No please, stop being so nice.  I’m not used to strangers being nice to me for no reason.  It’s weird.)

I guess the good thing about renting a 50 Euro room (out of desperation), is that its looks ridiculously fancy, especially after I just spent last night sharing a room with 16 other people (not that I actually minded).  A double bed, for me?  Kitchen (that I won’t use), for me?  Ensuite…  Ahhhhh!  Too posh!

The funny thing is that despite all this weird shit happening, I fell pretty ok.  Who know, maybe I’m used to all these shenanigans now.  Also it’s crazy how much stuff we did this week.  4 countries, 7 cities and 4 languages, awesome! 
The bad news is that I’m having some weird kind of culture/ language shock.  I swear English is my 1st language!  (Even though I have to get the French girl to check my spelling and grammar).  Oh man, now it’s going to be weird talking to all the Australians, because I doubt that they’ll be able to understand me when I randomly switch to Japanese, while inserting random French words into the sentence.  Shoot, Ta-chan I miss you already.

Anyway enough of my stupid rambling, I need to go to bed so that I have enough energy to carry this ridiculously heavy bag.  Here’s a video of my (posh) room.



P.S.  Random Italian guys kept hitting on me and Tatiana (even though we we’re really gross and smelly from travelling everywhere), one guy thought we were German and tried to talk to us, but because I’m as dense as a brick, I only found out that they were hitting on us after Tatiana told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment