Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Rome day 2 1/07/2013

Was super tired last night to write my blog, (I still am), but I better do it before I forget what happened.

 As you know from my last entry, I had some accommodation issues, so I made sure to go and check into my apartment first thing in the morning.  It's actually a really nice place.  The place is made for 6 people, but only 3 people are using it, so it's super comfy.  I'm sharing with Sharon who was in my photography class last year and Lucy, whose an architectural student from Cambera.

Then we took the bus to go to class, however we accidentally went to the wrong campus.  Apparently they sent an email with an address change, but we were unaware of it.  Luckily enough one of the ladies there was nice enough to show us the way.  

Then we were introduced to our Teachers who are Italian, but teach the course in English.  For the first day, we went through orientation, which was pretty much about our schedule for the next few weeks, how to use the materials and getting to know each other.

For this course I expected it to be like last time where people from all around the world came to participate, however 12/14 of us are Australians!  Anyway, the good news is that everyone's nice and gets along well with each other.

Everyone in my class
Also, the course is also amazing!  I am really happy that I chose it.  After our debriefing, we were told to go into the garden and draw the buildings, probably to try out the new materials they gave us.


I think that all the times that I went out into the city to draw with my friend Yvette really payed off, because I understood what they wanted me to do straight away without being stressed, which was good.

They wanted us to focus on 2 different styles: Creating the sensation of the place, which means that it doesn't have to be too accurate, but the fluid movements and shapes give you a sense of the atmosphere, such as this picture.

red and grey pencil and markers
The second style was to pay attention to a specific detail, such as the decorations of a column and draw it more accurately.  
It was hard for me to get the hang of this style at first, because of a few reasons.  First is that I haven't focused on detailed drawings for a few years (I used to draw like that in high school though), and secondly I have a really short attention span and I get bored really quickly.  So this was hard for me to do, but I got it in the end.

a really boring window

pillar and some bricks


After class I went off into the city with a group of people from my Uni to look at the monuments, such as the Spanish Steps, an Egyptian Oblisk, the Colosseum and a bunch of other random ruins.  I'm sorry, but I generally don't care too much about historical things to pay enough attention to where I am, (which is how me and Tatiana managed to go though half of the country so fast), only enough to say "that's pretty cool".  

Does that mean Rome is wasted on me, since it's one of the most historically rich countries in the world?  Who knows, probably...  Or at least the historical bits.  As for the drawing part, i'm going to embrace every opportunity I have to become a better draughtsman!

grey markers and pencil

We stopped in a park and drew this statue.  (I swear this is the 3rd time I've seen something like this.  The first in Milan and the second in Venice.)

Anyway, the walk was exhausting!  Especially since it was about 29 degrees, which is a killer after a whole week of fake Summer.



Apparently the Romans stole a whole bunch of
Obelisks from Egypt and put them in front of Churches   

Spanish Steps 
a random street

Slutty skeleton advertisement for... something?

Cool column with spirally, 3D Roman hieroglyphics  

Colussim 

Unfinished Colussim drawing

It's also hard walking in a big group, because you don't get to see what you want to see or go where you want to go, do maybe next time we should split up into smaller groups.  Either that or I'll go places by myself, since I don't get scared of walking around by myself.  

In fact, I have a better idea!  I'll go into an AIR-CONDITIONED McDonald's and draw from there, that way i'll stay cool and eat cheap food... oh yeah, wasting Rome again... Yeah, well Europe is expensive, so it's either one or the other.  (I should stop fighting with myself on the internet (-_-; )  ).

Enough rambling!  After all of that we to an Italian restaurant... (actually that's kind of obvious now that I live in Italy) and had dinner together.
As some of you know, once I like something, I tend to eat it all the time, such as anything with strawberries (Fragola in Italian) and normal spaghetti.  (It's also the cheapest item on the menu, which is a bonus too.


No comments:

Post a Comment