Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Saturday, 6 July 2013


On Friday, pretty much nothing happened (had no class and slept the whole day).  Then end.



Ok, now for something interesting,  SATURDAY!

First of all I decided to start the day off right, with food!

I was getting really tired of going to fancy restaurants, where they added extra charges to the bill, so I did it a different way.  Instead I went back to Termini train station and ate in the food court there, which was one of the best ideas I had that day (cheap and convenient, just the way I like it).

That pie was so good!
 
After being refueled I was ready to take on the (half-day, since I slept in).  First thing I did was go to the Capuchin Crypt at Barbarini station.  

live monks live here too
First there was a museum with collections of some of the items used by the Capuchin monks including their clothes, paintings, books and items used during mass such as chalices.

It was pretty interesting looking at the stuff and I even tried to draw some of the objects, however I was trying to be time conscious and not spend my whole day there, so they were fairly quick sketches.

quick sketch of wax seals

drawing of dead monk

stopped drawing, because I stopped caring

Then at the end there was a room full of bones, but unlike the catacombs in Paris, whose bones were just stacked in piles, these ones were decoratively placed.  They wouldn't let me take pictures inside (again) so I got a post card to show you what it looked like.

Postcard of the skulls


You guys probably think I'm really morbid since I'm always going (paying) to see dead people... Kind of like the drawing above.

So that was pretty cool and all, but I was only there for about 1 1/2 hours so I thought about something else I could do.  Then I realized that the Trevi Fountain was near by so I headed towards it, only to realized that I was doing that thing I do... head in the complete opposite direction of where I'm supposed to go, (even though I was walking in a straight line.)

After a while I finally found it.  It was like an oasis for all the sun baked tourists in Rome to hang out at.  My guide book said that its good luck if you throw 2 coins into the fountain (proceeds go to the Red Cross I think).  You get to make a wish for the first coin, and the second coin is to wish to come back to rome again, so I chose the most useless coins in my bag, (1 and 2 cents) and chucked them in.  A true tourist! 

My wish is a pretty obvious (for those who know me), but for those who don't, it's a secret ;D
Trevi Fountain

This picture exists to show that I was
actually there as opposed to using
another google stock photo :p

Then within 30 minutes of arriving, the sky turned dark and thunder started to rumble.  A whole bunch of people were screaming because of it, which I thought was hilarious (who's scared of thunder?)

Then within a few seconds the rain came down really heavily, so much that I had to take shelter in the Pinoccio store, which was playing a song that kept saying “je t’aime” over and over again, which means "I love you" in French, but after a while I figured it was better if I took my chances with the rain than to put up with that (there were no other lyrics in the song), so I headed out with my umbrella (the same one that I forgot in Japan 2 years ago and got back recently).

 Then I went back to the station early, which was a good idea, because the metro was having problems due to the storm and took ages to re-start the system.  By the time I got back home, there was hardly anytime to rest, because I had to head out again to the fashion show later that night.  (The design school that I'm going to was having a fashion show for the fashion student's graduation).

So I meet Begonia, Kathy and Lex who are students from the same course outside and we headed off back into the city (luckily enough, the metro was working again).

First we walked around for a bit, but decided to go and get drinks before the show, since we still had time.  I got a cappuccino, which was really nice (I love it when they draw the leaf on my coffee.)


Cappuccino

Then we arrived at the IED city campus.  All of the works were amazing.  Each of the students had really professional portfolios, which put everything we've done so far at uni to shame... which I guess can be a good thing, because it gives us something to aim for.  (Nothing like a challenge!)


The student's jewelry




Then we went outside into the open courtyard, where the fashion show took places.  In the center were a bunch of giant balloons, which they used as a screen to project a video of rolling clouds.

Then in the middle was a catwalk, which encircled the audience.  Even though the styles were strange, I thought that the students' clothes were really well made.  You could really see the effort that they put into their creations.

Also, our teachers told us that industry professionals were invited to the show, meaning that everything was set up so that the students could meet future employers, which is pretty cool. 


The end of the show


One of the models had the weirdest walk
like the one in the drawing


After everything was finished we went back towards the station and even saw the Colosseum by night.  I think I mention this before, but the city really looks different at night.  It's a completely different experience!

Another tourist photo, haha

 The only bad part about that was that we missed the last tram and thought that we would have to catch an expensive cab with some shady guy, but then at the last second I spotted another tram and flew into it, holding the door for the others. (Whew!  Just in time!)

Finally!  All my training of running after trains in high school has finally payed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment